- 2 cups fresh sweet potato puree
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup oats
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp all natural peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Peel and cube two medium sweet potatoes and bring to a boil in pot of water. Reduce to low and simmer approximately 15-20 minutes or until soft. Drain cooked potatoes and puree using blender or food processor.
- In small bowl, stir together the flour, oats, and cinnamon.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the egg, sweet potato, and peanut butter until combined. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Pour onto a floured surface and roll dough out to 1/2 - 2/3 inch thick. Cut out using Christmas cookie cutters. The dough will be a little sticky - dust your hands and the rolling pin with a little flour to help!
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown.
- Place on cooling racks and let cool thoroughly. They will harden as they cool.
The salt can be added to help extend the shelf life of these treats, but is not necessary. Do not use a pumpkin spice blend, or anything that may contain nutmeg, as it is toxic to dogs, even in small amounts. I used fairly small cookie cutters and got 45 treats! Your cookie cutter size will determine your quantity.
For more recipes like this, visit http://lemonsandbasil.com/, and download the entire Kurgo Holiday Cookbook here!
*Recipe adapted from My Baking Addiction