Common Household Pet Hazards

Common Household Pet Hazards

Posted by Megan Schneider on 10th April 2017

Many people have the same seemingly innocuous items laying
around their houses: foods, medicine, pest killers. However, we all too often
forget to put these things out of reach of our beloved pups. And, while some
things are probably okay to leave out in the open, it’s always better to be
safe than sorry when it comes to your pet’s health. See below a list of common
household hazards and what to do if your dog is poisoned.

Edible Hazards

Some of the foods we love the most are not
pet-friendly. Chocolate and coffee are especially hazardous to your dog, as
they can cause toxicosis, leading to seizures and death. Other foods to watch
out for include grapes, onions, and garlic. Grapes can cause acute renal
failure and cause death in as few as three to four days. Onions and garlic can
damage red blood cells and lead to weakness and lethargy, and, in rare cases,
your dog could require a blood transfusion.

Medicinal Hazards

When considering giving your dog any type of human medication, always triple check with your
veterinarian if it is okay. And never leave any medication out in the open
where a curious dog could get into it. For example, even something as seemingly
harmless as acetaminophen can cause problems with oxygen flow in your pup, or
harm his liver. Do not ever leave medicine out, and do not ever give your dog
any medication without discussing with your vet.

Additionally, you need to watch out for veterinary medicine prescribed
for your pet. Even though this medicine is okay to give your dog, he could
still overdose, just like a human could. And pet medicines are often flavored
to entice your pet to take them, so be extra careful to not leave these in your
pet’s reach, as his curious nose may make him inclined to eat the whole thing.

Chemical Hazards

This is especially important to be aware of, as chemicals
can find their way into your pup’s system unintentionally. Insecticides and
rodenticides, used to kill pests, can cause choking and blood problems in your
pet. Cleaning products, fertilizer, detergents, antifreeze, and de-icers can
also be very harmful to your dog. These chemicals can all lead to poisoning and
even death. The problem is, even if your dog doesn’t get into a bottle of any
of these, he could unintentionally experience the side effects of them from,
say, licking his paws if he stepped somewhere where an insecticide was sprayed
or drinking water from a puddle if it rains after you spray these chemicals. Always
take extra precautions after using any chemicals in your home or your yard to
make sure your dog does not ingest any unwanted chemicals. Alternatively, you can buy pet-safe household cleaners for virtually all of your household needs, as well.

Regardless of the precautions you take, accidents do happen,
and it is important to know what to do in case your pet is poisoned. First,
immediately remove your pet from the area. Then, check to make sure your pet is
okay. Call the Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680, and never give any home
remedies or try to induce vomiting without contacting the Helpline or your veterinarian.
In severe cases, contact your veterinarian or bring your pet to the nearest
emergency vet clinic immediately.

Recent posts