Holiday Hazards for Dogs

Holiday Hazards for Dogs

Posted by Jen Sotolongo on 13th December 2018

Photo credits: @adventures_with_riley

Setting up for and celebrating the holidays
with friends, family, and our pets, of course, is fun and festive. For those of
us with pets, however, we may not realize that some of our decorations and
celebrations can cause harm to our animals. From Christmas trees to holiday
plants and cookies and treats within easy access to curious noses,
understanding the potential toxins to our pets will help prevent any veterinary
emergencies during the holidays.

The list below outlines some of the common
holiday hazards to consider when you have a pet. Should you notice and of the
signs mentioned below as a result of ingestion of certain hazards, contact your
veterinarian immediately.

are an electrical hazard for dogs if chewed.
Take extra caution if you have a puppy who is prone to eat anything in sight.
Your dog may find all the new cords around the house exciting and wish to
investigate. When chewed, live wires can cause electrocution and potentially
result in burns in the mouth, difficulty breathing, seizures, and cardiac

Prevention: Unplug the lights from the outlet
when you are not at home. Use grounded, three-prong extension cords and keep
the cords at high as possible.

and Garlands
are a well known holiday hazard for pets.
Ingesting tinsel can cause intestinal blockage and in more severe cases even
cut through the intestines. Often the only way to remove such objects from the
intestines is by surgical means. If you notice tinsel hanging from your dog’s
mouth or coming out the other end, refrain from trying to cut or remove it
yourself. Head to the vet immediately. Other signs include vomiting, diarrhea,
and loss of appetite.

Prevention tips: Avoid using tinsel or thin
strings to decorate your tree. If you do, then place them high enough to where
your dog cannot reach.

can look like fun toys for your dog. Those made of
glass can fall and break causing cuts or other injuries. If ingested, like the
tinsel, can cause cause intestinal obstructions, and again you’re looking at

Prevention tips: Hang delicate ornaments out
of reach of your pets. If this is your dog’s first Christmas, try leaving them
off for a few days after putting up the tree to gauge his interest in the tree.

Christmas tree
itself can be a potential hazard as
well. While the pine needles are not poisonous to dogs, if ingested, they can
cause intestinal upset, blockage, internal injuries, or eye damage if your dog
runs into them. Further, trees that are not well secured can fall over, causing
ornaments to break or even crush your pet if he can’t escape fast enough.
Lastly, the stand water may contain preservatives or additives that leach from
the trees and the sap could cause vomiting.

Prevention tips: Monitor your dog’s interest
in chewing on the pine needles. If he seems to enjoy them, then put up a baby
gate blocking him from the room when you are not home. Ensure that your tree is
well-secured to the tree stand and do not allow your dog to drink from the

like poinsettias, lilies, mistletoe, and holly
(particularly the berries) can be toxic to dogs when ingested. If you have any
of the varieties listed below, be sure to keep them out of reach of your pets
to avoid any change of ingestion.

Poinsettias - Though commonly believed to be
extremely toxic to dogs, the truth is that they’re not. If ingested, your pet
may show signs of mild gastrointestinal discomfort or display a mild rash if
rubbed on the skin, but it is nothing to be concerned about. Poinsettias are
generally safe in the home around pets.

Lilies - While the ASPCA considers lilies to not be toxic to dogs,
if you have a feline in your home, it’s best to avoid having the plant in the
house. Lilies, including amaryllis,
which is commonly displayed around Christmas time are extremely toxic to cats.
When ingested, lilies can cause life-threatening toxicity within 36-48 hours
after ingestion.

Mistletoe - Generally mistletoe is hung out of
reach of pets, but it is important to note that it is quite toxic to dogs and
cats. If ingested, pets can experience gastrointestinal upset, difficulty
breathing, a drop in blood pressure, or change in mental function.

Holly - While not severely toxic to pets,
holly can be poisonous, causing digestive upset, thanks to the spiny leaves and
potentially toxic substances like saponins, among others. Common signs to watch
for include, lip smacking, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, head shaking, and lack
of appetite.

are certainly fun, but could pose dangerous
health or injury threats to your dog that you may have never considered. Guests
who don’t have dogs, are inebriated, or are just not paying attention may
inadvertently create hazards for your dog. Alcoholic beverages may be set on a
table within your dog’s reach, perfect for taking a taste or knocking over with
a tail. Similarly, guests could place unfinished plates with desserts or other
toxic foods on counters or tables accessible to your dog. Guests coming and
going could offer an escape route for your pup if you’re not paying attention
to someone who has stepped out for a moment and forgotten to close the door.
Your dog may even dart out feeling stressed from the bustle of the party.

Prevention tip: In your party invitation,
remind guests that your dog will be in attendance and to please be mindful of
the door and where they place their dishes and to not offer your pet any food
off their plates. Put a reminder note on the door so guests remember to watch
for your dog and close the door after them. Create an out-of-reach dish station
where guests know to leave their plates out of reach of your pup.

and cookies
are commonly left out on plates or in
bowls during the holiday season. Candy and other sugary treats can cause
stomach issues and chocolate is a well-known toxin to dogs. The darker the
chocolate, the more toxic it is.

Prevention tips: Place all treats in a secured jar and
out of reach of your dog. Do not place wrapped chocolates under the tree or candy stockings. Your dog will sniff them out. 

Jen Sotolongo is a writer and photographer and runs Long Haul Trekkers, a blog about independent, responsible travel with a pet. Over the past few years, she and her partner have taken their dogs around the globe including a cycle tour spanning across Europe and South America, proving that adventures can include your dog, no matter where in the world they may be.

Recent posts

5 Reasons Your Dog Needs a Harness

5 Reasons Your Dog Needs a Harness

So, who really needs a dog harness anyway? As the dog travel andadventure experts, we get asked this question often and our answer is thatevery dog can benefit from using a harness! Maybe you and your best boy liketo adventure out in the car to the weekend farmer’s market or on a road trip tovisit [...]

Read More About 5 Reasons Your Dog Needs a Harness

Does My Dog Need a Dog Collar or a Harness?

Does My Dog Need a Dog Collar or a Harness?

Trying to decide which is better for your dog—a collar or a harness? The short answer is: You may need both. It really depends on the size and temperament of your dog and what it takes to maintain safe control of him.

Read More About Does My Dog Need a Dog Collar or a Harness?

Why Does My Dog Bark in the Car?

Why Does My Dog Bark in the Car?

A dog barking in the backseat of the car can be a real nuisance—and even a hazard—for human drivers. But for dogs, barking is a way of communicating. In order to put the kibosh on all that annoying barking, we first need to understand why our furry companion is barking to begin with.

Read More About Why Does My Dog Bark in the Car?