Holiday Recipe: Autumn Apple Puppy Pies
Posted by Dalmatian DIY on 7th December 2016
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 tbsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups rice flour
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine apple sauce, egg, molasses, and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Incrementally add flour until the dough has a firm, pliable consistency.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll your dough and cut into shapes. Yield will vary with size.
- Place on a prepared cookie tray and lightly brush the surface with a pastry brush or damp clean cloth to remove excess flour.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes. You can let them sit a while in the cooling oven before removing if you would like a crunchier cookie. Cool before serving and storing.
To create mini apple pie shapes as pictured, cut with a small, round biscuit cutter, place onto your prepared baking tray, and then roll lightly with a ravioli/pasta cutter to create indentations. This leaves a fluted pattern, but you can use a standard knife to make a straight pattern instead. You may find a very light spritz of olive oil applied just before baking helpful to maintain your pretty pie pattern, as low-fat doggy cookies are dry and often crack a little during baking.
Jenny Bruso and her pup Big Judy are no strangers to adventure. Most recently, they completed a month long road trip from Oregon to Vermont. We caught up with these Kurgo Ambassadors and asked them their favorite tips, tricks, and places they'd like to go.
Recently, Judy and I did a month-long cross country road trip, which meant planning for every scenario imaginable and discovering all-new scenarios to plan for. Here are the things that worked… and the things that most definitely did not.
As fall kicks into high gear our minds and taste buds turn to beer - brewfests, Oktoberfests, brew pubs, brewery tours. Good beer and dogs go together like peanut butter and jelly, so it's no surprise that you so often find them together. [...]